Saturday, January 15, 2011

Lifelongs and forevers

*Otherwise known as the details.

Jared pulled back the covers on the bed and then tucked them all around me after I settled into the pillows. The cabin was cold. We had driven up to Flagstaff on Christmas day, ahead of his parents and brother so that we could heat up the house and trade a couple of gifts with just the two of us. But, I was still a little sick and very tired from the India trip. So, I was put to bed.

I woke up to a sweet hug, soft kisses, and a much warmer room.
"Come downstairs," he said, "Let's have Christmas."

A tree was up. Covered in lights, presents stacked around the trunk. Candles were lit around the room and over the mantle, two knit stockings hung, I imagine, with care. Jared took them down and we settled on the floor to empty them out. Everything in our stockings was from Jared's mom. I found body wash, lotion, perfumes, chocolate, and an orange. And in the bottom was a small, velvet jewelry box.

"Oh," Jared said, taking the box from my hand. "You can't have that until you answer a question."

I looked at him confused, "What?" I asked. Still thinking of earrings, or maybe a necklace, from his mother.

"You can't have it until you answer a question." He got on one knee.

"Oh," and then the whole world changed, like a small shift in space, the sunlight a slightly different color. And I thought, this is happening right now. Nothing will ever be the same. This is your whole life.

He opened the box and I got a glimpse of the ring before I looked back at his face. Then he asked.

"Will you marry me?"

"Yes," I said softly before kissing his mouth and hugging him hard around the neck. I was crying. I didn't want to stop holding him and touching him. Minutes later he asked if I wanted to see the ring. "I do," I said tearfully, "It's just that I love you so much!"

One more kiss. One more hug. And then he put it on my trembling finger.


So, I have to know. Did you cry? And was it a surprise?

1 comment:

  1. I love this. So much. And no, I didn't cry, because of my irrational fear of marriage, though the tears on the actual wedding day were bulbous and plentiful. Waterproof mascara is essential. And it was a surprise; though I'd picked out the ring, I didn't know he had it already. There you go. SO happy to have found your blog(s). Yay for just over a month until you begin your new forever.

    ReplyDelete